Δευτέρα 25 Φεβρουαρίου 2013

What am I going to cook tomorrow?

It was my dear mum's perpetual headache:
"What am I going to cook tomorrow?".
At that time I was teasing her:
"Oh, mum, you know so many different recipes, just pick one and go on".
Much later, when I was responsible for the daily cooking in my family, I realized the depth of her dilemma. It was not just what to cook, but it should also be something that every member of my family would eat and affordable at the same time since our income  had been seriously restricted.
So I came up with the monthly plan. I take some time at the beginning of the month and I make the menues for all four or five weeks. In each space I write the particular recipe that fits the basic ingredients of that day. This way I know the quantities I need for every recipe and I I buy everything in advance, as soon as we have our monthly paycheck. Not only I keep my cupboard and fridge well-stocked (for our standards, of course) but I can also control my exspenses since I buy what I want in bulk.
Another advantage of this metod is that we avoid eating the same things every other day and that I can take into account what is seasonal in the market. For example, look on Tuesdays, they're dedicated to chicken. How many recipes are there with chicken? Hundreds! How many of those does your family actually like? Maybe four or five. There you are! You have covered four or five days in a month without much thinking. Saturdays are market days, here in our community, so I know I can find fresh fish. If I don't, homemade pizza or a quick cheese pie is a safe alternative. For this reason, I always buy plenty of flour.
You wiil also find that in this way you will reduce (or bannish, as we did) take-out food, from your diet.
Adjust the program to your family needs and then post it somewhere in your kitchen, the fridge door or a cupboard, so that everyone can see it. If you have serious arguments about a certain day, ask them to propose something different themselves. Either they'll provide you with an alternative which you'll have to respect (for once!) or they'll let it be as it is!
So, next month starts in a few days. Give it a try.
Plan ahead and save time and money!


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...